Game Progress Route for Cyberpunk 2077 features a recommended step-by-step progression path for the main campaign of the game, its goal is to provide players the important points of the game and to avoid any missing important aspects such as significant Locations, NPCs, Items, as well as involved boss encounters. For guides on quests, click here, if you want to check a detailed guide for each location, you may visit our Walkthrough page.
Cyberpunk 2077 Game Progress Route
V and Jackie cross paths in various ways either in The Streetkid / The Corpo-Rat / The Nomad and decide to become partners, with a mutual goal of becoming legendary mercs of Night City. This grabs the attention of a well-known fixer, Dexter DeShawn, who asks to meet V and offers a high-risk, yet high-rewarding job.
V learns that he/she and Jackie needs to steal a Relic, a most-prized and heavily protected piece of technology that is owned by Arasaka. It is said that the Relic allows the human mind to be copied as engrams onto shards, that can be placed into one's neural port, allowing the user to hear and see digitized personality constructs.
But preparations must be made before The Heist, so V takes a detour to meet with Evelyn Parker and to set up a negotiation between the Maelstrom boys. V must acquire a prototype spiderbot called the Flathead, to meet with the client who is behind the operation, and to obtain recon intel that will help in knowing where the relic is kept - this is done with the help of a BD tech-editor, Judy Alvarez, who assists you and introduces Braindance.
- The Corpo-Rat (MJ-03): If you take the time to speak to Frank and explore all available dialogue options, he will remember it later on and it will slightly affect his behavior in a future side job, War Pigs.
- The Pickup (MJ-08): How you approach this job will affect a future side job, Second Conflict.
- The Heist (MJ-10): Before leaving Delamain's car, you will be asked what to do with Jackie''s body. If you send him to his family, you'll unlock a future exclusive side job, Heroes. But if you ask him to be sent to Viktor, you'll unlock additional dialogue lines, scenes regarding Jackie in the latter part of the game.
- Playing for Time (MJ-11): After meeting Takemura at Tom's Diner, you get to choose three branches of the storyline: find Evelyn Parker, locate Anders Hellman, and cooperate with Takemura.
- You can loot the Chaos pistol off Royce's body if you ended up neutralizing the Maelstrom during the negotiation sequence in The Pickup.
- The Kongou pistol can be found on the nightstand next to Yorinobu's bed in his penthouse during The Heist job.
- During The Heist, when T-Bug opens the balcony door of the penthouse, climb up the stairs leading to the AV landing pad and check inside the vehicle to find the Satori katana.
- In the side job, Losing my Religion, don't forget to grab the Fenrir SMG that's on the table near the monk that you rescue.
- (The O'Five can't be obtained until after you can leave Kabuki and the Heist. This should be on the next section for "Notable Loot")
The story picks up after The Heist and V's apparent demise. Luckily, V finds himself/herself resurrected by the Relic that was slotted in his/her neural port. V may have cheated death, but somehow, based on Viktor's diagnosis, the contents of the relic has leaked from the shard, which means, that a legendary musician and alleged terrorist named Johnny Silverhand dwells in V's brain. This also results in his consciousness slowly spreading throughout V's body until he ultimately takes control.
V's priority? Is to find a way on how to extract Silverhand from his/her body, and your main lead to finding out how to do that is Evelyn Parker. But it won't be that easy, it seems that she can't be found and it is up to you to find clues that will track her down. V reaches out to Judy and learns more things about Evelyn, that she used to be a doll who was employed in Clouds. And so, the journey begins in searching for Evelyn's whereabouts throughout Night City.
- Automatic Love (MJ-12): If you were able to avoid conflict in Clouds and was able to interrogate Woodman, you will encounter him later on during a future side job, Ex-Factor.
- The Beast in Me (SJ-09): Once Sampson pulls off toward the end of the final race, there are three conclusions you can take. Ignore Claire's request and stay in the race, this will cause her to become hostile towards you when you're at the Afterlife. If you abandon the race and go after Sampson, an accident will occur, and you can let Claire kill him. Or talk Claire out of killing Sampson.
- Happy Together (SJ-12): Make sure to find out about the Niche at the North Oak columbarium to avoid Barry to commit suicide.
- The Hunt (SJ-20): V must find out the right farm in rescuing River's nephew. If you fail, it will automatically lock out the next job related to a Romance sequence with River Ward. If you were able to save Randy, at the end of the conversation with River, make sure you convince him that vengeance is not the solution.
- Following the River (SJ-21): If you are considering having a Romance with River, then just choose the relevant dialogue lines at the top of the water tower. And if you want to seal the deal with him, the next morning, tell him that you want to be his partner.
- The O 'Five can be obtained during Beat on the Brat: Champion of Arroyo after betting on it with Buck.
- The Plan B pistol can be looted off Dexter DeShawn's body in the scrapyard during Playing for Time.
- The Cocktail Stick katana can be located in the make-up room of the Clouds club during Automatic Love.
- The Second Opinion pistol can be found in the office that's adjacent to Woodman's office in Automatic Love.
- The Cottonmouth can be found in Fingers' bedroom during The Space in Between.
- The Dying Night pistol is rewarded to V if you win the shooting contest in Shoot to Thrill.
- Upon completing Heroes, you can grab the La Chingona Dorada pistol on the offering table where Jackie's funeral was held.
- The Tinker Bell can be located under the tree closest to Peter Pan's house on the Edgewood farm during The Hunt.
The search for Evelyn Parker wasn't really helpful, since V and Judy find her in a critical condition and she basically doesn't have the strength to help V due to being hacked by powerful netrunners who work at Clouds. V eventually learns that the people who hired Evelyn are members of the Voodoo Boys, a mysterious yet dangerous gang who are also specialized netrunners and is on the quest of uncovering the secrets of Cyberspace.
This is why they hired Evelyn to find a way to obtain the Relic because they are hoping to use the tech to learn more about it. V then sets out on a journey to Pacifica in order to find and negotiate with the Voodoo Boys who may find a way to extract the relic.
- I Walk the Line (MJ-17): Upon meeting the NetWatch agent inside the Grand Imperial Mall's cinema, you'll have to decide if you want to accept or reject his offer. Accepting his offer will cause the Voodoo Boys to become hostile towards V later on.
- Sinnerman & They Won't Go When I Go (SJ-22 & SJ-23): The success of Joshua's braindance at the end of SJ-23 is determined by specified dialogue lines during conversations with him.
- Don't Lose your Mind (SJ-26): Before ending the job, you will have the option to decide the faith of the Delamains. Destroy the core which liberates them all, reset the core reboots the system to the original Delamain, hack the core to merge them all.
- Sir John Phallustiff can be obtained in the following ways: call Meredith Stout before heading to All Foods Warehouse during The Pickup and then accept the credchip. Use it to purchase the flathead without cracking it or warning Royce about it. Next, wait for a message from Stout where she invites V to meet at No-Tell Motel. The blunt weapon can be found in the room where you and Stout meet.
- The Mox shotgun is given by Judy if you have a relationship with her or after Automatic Love if she decides to leave Night City.
After V's encounter with the Voodoo Boys, you'll learn that their only goal was not to help V in finding a way to take out the relic along with Silverhand, but they only wanted to make contact with Johnny's ex-lover, Alt Cunningham, and convince her to join them past the Blackwall. Cunningham is deemed to be one of the best netrunners in the early years of the 21st century, she is the one who developed a revolutionary tech called the Soulkiller.
The tech could instantly kill any target that is connected to the cyberspace and digitize their mind as an engram. The tech was supposed to be used as a weapon against powerful corporations and to keep them in check in cyberspace, but unfortunately, they took her, stole her work, and remade the tech.
This resulted in Cunningham using her own tech on herself, which digitized her persona and escaping into cyberspace. However, this also caused her to die. As years passed where she existed in uncharted territories of the cyberspace, the system eventually altered her consciousness and transformed her into a rogue AI and lost her consciousness of humanity. Despite this, she was still able to keep the thread between her and Johnny.
Since the Voodoo Boys weren't that much help for V, his/her goal is to find an alternative, and that is to track and find Anders Hellman, a leading bioengineer and expert in neural networks who works for Arasaka. Maybe he knows the truth behind the Relic and can explain how Johnny is slowly taking over V's body.
- Ghost Town (MJ-19): Once you've received the Thorton, you can help Panam get revenge on Nash or convince her not to. Agreeing to help her will allow you to trigger a combat sequence.
- Life During Wartime (MJ-21): During the hostage situation, you can get intel from the pilot to learn about where Hellman is held captive, allowing you to head straight to the gas station without encountering enemies along the way. If you fail to do so, you'll need to look for clues and fight enemy forces along the way until reaching the gas station.
- Ex-Factor (SJ-28): The conversation will Maiko will depend on how you approached Woodman in Automatic Love. If he's still alive, Maiko tells you where he is in the building, provided that you do not provoke her.
- Pisces (SJ-30): Upon reaching Hiromi's penthouse, you'll have to choose to either go with Maiko's plan and accept her payment, to kill all the Tyger Claw big bosses, including Maiko if you choose to, or let Maiko take over Clouds and refuse her payment. If you accept Maiko's payment, the quest related to a Romance sequence with Judy will automatically be locked.
- Pyramid Song (SJ-31): If you meet the required conditions, then you can have an option to Romance Judy and have a relationship with her.
It wasn't easy finding Ander Hellman but at least V was able to find some intel on how to extract the relic from his/her body. V learns that it's risky and impossible to take it out but somehow, there is one last person V can ask for help, and that is to get in touch with Goro Takemura. V cooperates with him to set up a meeting with Hanako Arasaka, the heiress to the corporate empire, Arasaka.
- Gimme Danger (MJ-23): During this job, you can accompany Takemura on a recon mission at the Arasaka Industrial Park. And if you do help him out and if you chose to have Jackie Welles' body to Viktor, then you'll learn some important information regarding Jackie's body. Joining Takemura is also a foundation for a friendship between him and V.
- Search and Destroy (MJ-25): Upon meeting Hanako Arasaka, enemy forces will arrive at the safehouse. Before you escape the building, you can choose to help Takemura or just leave. This will determine if he will make an appearance at the latter part of the game, as well as one of the game's ending.
- Chippin' In (SJ-35): Sparing Grayson's life will allow you to obtain the key to a crate where Johnny's Porche is kept. Apart from that, your conversation with Johnny when you're at the oil fields will determine if you'll unlock other related side jobs and potentially, unlock an alternative secret choice before the final mission of infiltrating Arasaka Tower.
- Blistering Love (SJ-36): Completing this side job unlocks a finale that involves Rogue.
- I Don't Wanna Hear It (SJ-37): If you were able to resolve the confrontation between the Us Cracks and Kerry, then they will collaborate in making a new song and video. And you'll also unlock a minor side job, Every Breath You Take.
- Riders on the Storm (SJ-45): Failing to meet Panam at the Raffen Shiv will prematurely end the quest and lock you out in completing the related side jobs and a potential Romance with Panam Palmer.
- I'll Fly Away (SJ-53): Make sure you complete this before triggering Queen of the Highway. This can be easily missed. Speak to Mitch who's at the burial site near the Nomads' camp to trigger this side job.
- With a Little Help From My Friends (SJ-49): Disclosing Panam's plan to Saul will also result in failing the mission and closing it. This also locks you out in completing the related side jobs and a potential Romance with Panam Palmer.
- Queen of the Highway (SJ-50): This job is related to a Romance sequence with Panam Palmer. If you meet the required conditions, you can opt to have sex with her and to have a relationship with her at the end of the job. Completing this will allow V to forge an alliance with the Nomads, unlocking an epilogue path that involves Panam and the Aldecaldos.
- Prototype Shingen: Mark V can be found in a shipping container in front of the warehouse in the main job, Gimme Danger.
- Genjiroh pistol: Located behind a closed door on the way to the second sniper during the main job, Playing it Safe. It's located on the right when you walk out of the elevator, just before reaching the tall ladder on the 21st floor. You need to have the required Technical Ability attribute to open the door.
- Jinchu-Maru: Loot it off Oda after defeating him in the main job, Playing it Safe.
- Doom Doom: This revolver can be obtained during the side job, Second Conflict. This can only be obtained if Dum Dum remains to be alive during The Pickup. You can obtain this by looting it off Dum Dum in the Totentantz Club.
- Gold-Plated Baseball Bat: This can be found at Denny's villa during the side job, Second Conflict. You can loot this from the swimming pool, wait for their heated conversation to end and after Denny throws the bat into the pool.
- Apparition: This can be looted from Frank's body during the side job, War Pigs. V must have Corpo background to trigger this unique minor side job.
- Problem Solver: This SMG is dropped by the large enemy guarding the entrance of the Wraith camp during the side job, Riders on the Storm.
- A bootleg of Johnny's shoes can be found in the locker during the Gig: Family Heirloom.
The Point of No Return
After agreeing to work with Takemura to arrange a meeting with Hanako Arasaka, V was given the opportunity to tell her what he/she witnessed at Konpeki Plaza, which is the truth regarding the murder of Saburo Arasaka, who was killed by his own son, Yorinobu.
Hanako who was reluctant at first decides to meet up with V at Embers Restaurant where she makes an offer. She asks V's help to convince and tell the board of directors regarding her brother's transgressions, and in return, she will have the best doctors and surgeons of Arasaka to have the Relic removed from V's body. As tempting as it may sound, V discusses and reflects on his/her journey and carefully chooses what must be done with Johnny Silverhand. Who knows? There may be other avenues that V can take...
Players must take note that meeting Hanako at Embers triggers the point of no return. Meaning that you'll have to run through the finale and finish the game. You won't be able to go explore Night City and complete any gigs or side jobs. So if you have anything left to do, make sure you do them before meeting Hanako at Embers. Take note of the following jobs that can affect the epilogue of the game:
- Following the River (SJ-21): Provides an opportunity for a Romance and a relationship with River Ward.
- Pyramid Song (SJ-31): Provides an opportunity for a Romance and a relationship with Judy Alvarez.
- Blistering Love (SJ-36): Provides an opportunity for a Romance and unlocks a finale path involving Rogue.
- Boat Drinks (SJ-43): Provides an opportunity for a Romance and a relationship with Kerry Eurodyne.
- Queen of the Highway (SJ-50): Provides an opportunity for a Romance, a relationship with Panam Palmer, and unlocks a finale path involving Panam and the Aldecaldos.
- Nocturne Op55N1: This is the important sequence that will determine V's fate and it will also determine how the game will end. So choose wisely and think properly about who you want to ask help for in infiltrating Arasaka Tower. See Endings page for more details. You'll also be able to call your partner if you want to.
- Where Is My Mind? (Epilogue): You are given the option to sign the contract or to return to Earth.
- Path of Glory / New Dawn Fades / All Along the Watchtower (Epilogue): Inside Mikoshi, you will have to choose to enter the well or cross the bridge. This determines if V will keep his body or have Johnny take full control.
- Fortunate Son (SJ-54) - Spare the hospital employee's life and question him about the NCPD ambush. You have to make sure that you find out that the implant has been tampered with so that you can save Jake's life.
- Killing in the Name (SJ-59): You have the option on what to do with Sweedenborg. Tell Nancy the truth or pretend that you don't have any information.
- Every Breath You Take (SJ-62): Failing this quest will result in the death of Blue Moon. Kerry and the Us Cracks must collaborate during I Don't Wanna Hear It to unlock this side job.
- Machine Gun (SJ-63): Skippy keeps its personality if the Stone Cold Killer mode is active when you meet Regina.
- Raymond Chandler Evening (SJ-65): You can prematurely fail and close this quest if you take too long in dealing with the Valentinos, if you leave the bar without helping the corpo, or if you refuse to help Pepe.
- Divided We Stand: You can steal this from the 6th Street gang or win the shooting competition during the side job, Stadium Love.
- Amnesty: This revolver can be acquired by completing Cassidy's bottle shooting challenge at the Nomad party during the main job, We Gotta Live Together.
- Acquire Johnny's pants during the Psychofan gig. It's inside a pink briefcase in the bedroom.
- Caretaker's Spade: This blunt weapon can be found leaning against a tree near the conference table during the main job, Knockin' On Heaven's Door.
- Pride: The Pride pistol can be obtained from Rogue's body after Adam kills her in the main job, Knockin' On Heaven's Door.
- Prejudice: This AR can be found at one of the tables behind the bar in the Afterlife at the beginning of the main job, For Whom the Bell Tolls.